[PDF] Downloads Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) ePUB Mobile



Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) eBook PDF Download by Sarah J. Maas


Read and Download Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) Ebook Free Sarah J. Maas - downloader - pdf, epub, kindle mobi... Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) Download pdf... Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) PDF Download Free Sarah J. Maas Ebook English (PDF, EPUB, KINDLE)





Download book of Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1)


Lethal. Loyal. Legendary.Enter the world of Throne of Glass with the first book in the #1 bestselling series by Sarah J. Maas.In a land without magic, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She has no love for the vicious king who rules from his throne of glass, but she has not come to kill him. She has come to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three murderers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she will be released from prison to serve as the King's Champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. And a princess from a faraway country will befriend her. But something rotten dwells in the castle, and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying mysteriously, one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival-and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.Thrilling and fierce, Throne of Glass is the first book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series that has captivated readers worldwide.

Details of the book :


Author : Sarah J. Maas
★★★★☆ 4.6 from 5 stars (42252 Reviews)
Langue : English
ISBN-10 : 1639730958
File size: 6 MB

Support format : PDF, EPUB, Kindle, Audio HTML, RTF, TXT, MOBI.
Compatible device : Android, Apple, iPad, iPhone, PC, and Amazon Kindle.


TW: mentions of rapeI have conflicting feelings about a lot of YA in general (or maybe New Adult? I can't seem to figure out where the lines are between the two). Most of the conflicting feelings stem from the treatment of female characters and/or feminist/attempted feminist messages in the narrative (to the surprise of exactly no one who knows anything about me). I feel like Throne of Glass is a very good example of the books I have problems with.Throne of Glass was presented to me as 'assassin Cinderella Game of Thrones by way of Tamora Pierce'. Graceling was also mentioned. So I did my research. I read reviews. I read/watched a couple of author interviews. Much was said about wanting strong women to look up to in books, which the author felt were lacking. Sabriel and The Hero and the Crown were mentioned as being something the author wanted more of. I bought the book.I have to give the author credit where credit is due - I do believe she tried. Some of the ideas were very interesting. There was lip service given to female friendship. There was a line commenting on women who tear down other women to look appealing to men. She put in a woman of color, who we're told is respected by all. I don't recall any LGBTQA etc characters in the first book, but the third has a gay couple in the background. Every once and a while the lot of the poor and trodden down was mentioned, which is at least some acknowledgement. And last but not least, I had to retract one criticism I made about the salt mine location - the author was correct and I was not.So why does Throne of Glass fill me with such unreasoning dislike? Is it because I had to admit to being wrong about something, which I absolutely hate doing? Is it because so little research went into this that at one point Celaena (our Cinderella) asserts that if she cut off a horse's bridle the saddle would fall off? Is it because Celaena is, hands down, the single most irritating character I have ever read about? Maybe it's because the love interests are practically interchangeable during the first book. It could be blatant tokenism in the form of Nehemia, who deserved so much better. Possibly the sloppy worldbuilding? The never-ending stream of assurances that the emperor/king was Evil and Never to Be Crossed Lest Dire Consequences Ensue despite almost every character in the book crossing him with no consequences? THE BLATANT RACISM, PERHAPS?If you guessed anything but the racism, which I will address briefly when discussing Nehemia (as I am a white chick and not an expert), you would be guessing a very small part of a much larger whole.Throne of Glass, much like many YA books these days and former days but hopefully not future days, pays a lot of lip service to women while cutting them off at the knees in the narrative.Let me explain. If we leave aside the novellas' truly despicable treatment of sex workers (who apparently deserve to have knives thrown at them because they are sex workers), we are left with exactly six named women with speaking roles in the first book: Celaena herself, Nehemia, Kaltain Rompier, Queen Georgina Havilliard, Philippa Spindlehead, and Queen Elena Havilliard.Celaena, of course, is our main character. Nehemia is her token woc bff. Kaltain is the stereotypical mean girl. Queen Georgina likes to do nothing but watch people dance and tell her son he should get married. Philippa is Celaena's maid, who tells her she's beautiful despite laboring in a salt mine for a year. And Queen Elena is a ghost who cheerleads Celaena and gives her cryptic advice.The fates of everyone but Celaena:Nehemia: brutally tortured to death. Rape is implied.Kaltain: after being tricked into trying to murder Celaena and then tricked into taking full blame for it, she's thrown in prison, where it is explicitly stated that she is raped regularly. Also one of the most stereotypical and insulting descents into insanity ever.Georgina: only ever shows up in one scene. Is routinely called useless.Philipps: idk she disappears from the novel entirely.Queen Elena: I mean she's already dead. I guess she keeps haunting the castle or something.Do you see the problem.Leaving aside their eventual fates (to the point of a fourth-ish through the way of the third book because for some reason I keep reading them, I don't know if I expect them to get better or what), there is the matter of competence.Nehemia: has apparently been Princess Leia-ing for nearly her entire life. That's fair, except she keeps leaving books on forbidden magic that could get her executed laying around everywhere and insults literally everyone but Celaena bluntly and on purpose. Like. The character herself isn't bad, just inconsistent with what we're told about her. Not to mention the tokenism - Nehemia is literally the only named character of color thus far. Even in the second book, when we're given a short POV chapter of another WOC, we don't learn her name. The POV character is referred to only as a slave girl. A black woman. Referred to only as a slave girl even in her own head. (if I never have to read another comment about how pale and beautiful Celaena is it will be too soon)Kaltain: is apparently terrible. Celaena hates her at first meeting, because Celaena, "hates women like that. They're so desperate for the attention of men that they would willingly betray and harm members of their own sex. And we claim men cannot think with their brains. At least men are direct about it." Aside from putting the blame for societal conditioning on the woman you are critiquing, and instead of asking how that could have happened (at one point Celaena's companion goes 'I pity [Kaltain's] servants' and Celaena says, 'I pity her father.'), the book sees no irony in Celaena saying this directly to a man. About another woman. Who she has met once. For two minutes. In a society structured oh-so-originally after medieval-ish western europe. Where we are explicitly told that the only upward mobility possible for women is by marrying high ranked men. In the second book Celaena, while working to free and/or not assassinate numerous nobles that the evil emperor/king wants assassinated, runs into Kaltain in prison, where we are helpfully informed that she is raped regularly. Celaena, being the kind-hearted woman with strength of character attested to by all the characters in the book, gives her a cloak and leaves. Also Kaltain smokes an opium pipe to get rid of her headaches, which is of course terrible. Look, book, if I thought smoking an opium pipe would help with my headaches and migraines you bet I would do it in a hot second. Don't you judge her.Queen Georgina is still considered useless. I don't question the interpretation, I question the point of making her so useless her own son calls her that. Also why she has to stereotypically match-make.Philippa: I really have nothing much more to say about Philippa. I guess at least she has bulk 'contained by her cobalt and peach dress' whatever that means.Queen Elena: ancient half-fae queen known for her beauty and grace and purity and stuff. There's really not much else to say aside from a side-eye of yet another stereotypical queen trope. Oh, did I mention she is also super pale and blonde and beautiful. She and Nehemia would probably wrestle for the presidency of the Celaena Sardothien fanclub, were Elena corporeal. I guess they can now, SINCE THEY'RE BOTH DEAD.And finally we come to Celaena herself.Celaena is some fraction of fae and human crossbreed princess, last survivor of her family, trained from the age of eight by the unironicaly named King of the Assassins to murder people without remorse. Whom does she assassinate, you might ask? Anyone and everyone she is paid to, as assassins do? Nah. That's too pedestrian. Celaena only assassinates corrupt politicians and people who cheat on their spouses. But that ridiculousness is not what this review is really about, so moving on.If we run with the book's definition of 'best assassin ever' (which seems to be 'is the best fighter ever' and not 'is the sneakiest killer ever'), Celaena fails miserably. As of book two, and if I include the novellas, Celaena has won about three fights actually on page. She also fails miserably at the traditional definition of 'best assassin ever': she is continuously snuck up on, often caught out when she herself is sneaking, and once bemoans that she can't kill the prince in a one on one dinner because she was only given a fork, not a knife.My problem is not (entirely) that she is a terrible fighter and an even worse assassin, though I do find it problematic that our main character is a woman and supposedly badass while continuously being shown to be bad at her job or rescued by one of the love interests. My problem with Throne of Glass and many YA novels lately is the raging epidemic of Special Woman Syndrome (shortened drastically from what I called it in my review of Defiance). Only the main woman is important. Other women can't do what she does. Much like Celaena, who says on the one hand that she hates women like Kaltain while being exactly what she accuses women like Kaltain of being while the book tells us she isn't, YA novels have a bad habit of saying "you can be special. Only you, though, because only you are like the heroine, not those other girls, who have sex and hate women. You can't trust those girls, they aren't like you. No other girls are like you. Those other girls get raped and murdered. But you're strong. You're special. You are not like other girls."In short, don't bother. Read Tamora Pierce instead. Or read this if you want. But also read Tamora Pierce.[edited on second read: 404 pages, 457 fragments, lots of tabs] Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) eBook PDF Download read pdf I definitely read the Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas because of bookstagram. However, starting the Throne of Glass series is just because I love Sarah J Maas at this point. This book gave me Chamber of Secrets vibes… and it did not disappoint. Celaena is an assassin who has spent the last year in jail as a slave. She is summoned to the castle and offered a deal; if she competes and wins in a tournament to be the king's assassin, then she will receive freedom after four years of service. While at the castle, she is trained and looked after (an assassin may try to escape) by the General, Chaol. Then there is Dorian, the prince, who selected her. Feelings start to develop there as well. But over the few months that these championship tournaments take place, many participating in them are killed brutally. Celaena now does just have to worry about the tournaments, but whatever is killing off all its competitors..The only reason this was not a 5 star was because I kept getting confused in the final battle, and what was happening. I am hoping reading more of the series will help clear it up for me!I look forward to reading more in this series, and wonder who Celaena’s love interest may end up being. PDF Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) read pdf Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's Assassin - feared, fierce, lethal. Everyone in Erilea knows her name, a name synonymous with death. But then betrayed, caught, tried, convicted, Celaena is sentenced to a lifetime in the unforgiving salt mines of Endovier as punishment for her many crimes. In an ironic twist of fate, she's offered the chance to compete to become the Champion of the very king who condemned her; in doing so, earning her freedom... and possibly becoming Erilea's best hope against the dark forces that would seek to destroy it.Celaena. Celaena is a character who could be considered rather... off-putting had I not read the prequel novellas that lead up to Throne of Glass. She's irritatingly arrogant, projects an unwavering confidence, she's overbearingly prideful, prickly, a bit of a know-it-all, she's selfish, spoiled, abrasive, a bit of a snob, and of course, an extremely lethal assassin.Right about now you're probably saying, "And you like her... why?"Because while she's most certainly flawed, and possibly more than most protagonists, the four novellas prior give the reader a front row seat as to the circumstances that brought Celaena to the salt mines of Endovier, and just what made Celaena Sardothien, the Celaena Sardothien. The character development these four "episodes" provide is invaluable and engenders an empathy for this tough-as-nails girl assassin who's endured so much and become so hardened in her very short life. Because although Celaena is all those things mentioned above, underneath the facade she's also an intriguing mixture of insecurity, doubt, fear, sorrow. She's a smart girl who's learned very quickly that emotion can be exploited by one's enemies and that the only person she can really count on is herself. Nothing in life is guaranteed, especially people. People leave, they die, they betray, they fail. Celaena is not a person who gives her trust, nor does she open her heart to others, easily. This is even true for the reader. While who Celaena is becomes apparent to the reader, there are certain things about her that remain a closely guarded secret. Celaena reveals about herself only what she wants to be known, though there are moments when her defenses are breached, giving the reader tantalizing clues about the mysteries of Celaena's life.So, coming into Throne of Glass knowing what I know about her, I loved Celaena. Because in addition to those other qualities she's also infectiously passionate, she's brave, perceptive, quick-witted with a tongue that's as sharp as her sword, she has a talent for reading people and situations, and she has a soft spot for the mistreated and oppressed. She's a perplexing tangle of curiously childlike and being wise beyond her years. She's a girl, who at the beginning of this novel has endured shattering betrayal and excruciating heartbreak... which made me want to give her a hug, knowing full well that I might come out of the encounter with a bloody nose and broken fingers. And though she is a ruthless assassin, she does have a sense of honor, a code by which she acts, and her line of work does indeed cause her some moral conflict. She's just a very well done, thoroughly complicated, slightly broken character, which if you've read enough of my reviews, you'll know those are the ones I love the most.Dorian & Chaol. The Crown Prince and his Captain of the Guard. A reader and a warrior. The best of friends. Both fascinated with the same girl. A very, very dangerous girl.For Prince Dorian, selecting Celaena Sardothien as his Champion in the competition was a way to thumb his nose at his father's authority while still adhering to his father's wishes. His relationship with Celaena was never supposed to get personal, but her wit, passion and snark, so different from that of the simpering court ladies, intrigues him in ways he never expected.Reserved, devoted to duty, honor and excellence, Captain Chaol Westfall's personal opinion of his prince's chosen Champion isn't very high. She's nothing but a convict, a murderer of countless people. She's manipulative, dishonorable, not to be trusted, soulless and devoid of humanity... right? However, as Chaol trains and guards the young assassin for the competition, he discovers that his initial opinion of the notorious Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's Assassin, may have been hasty and unfair.Yes. I'll just put it out there... this is a love triangle. But the way it's developed, it's believable, and never feels overly melodramatic. Two best friends; two guys who are both very similar in values, and yet very different in personality; two guys, flawed but wonderful; two guys who both compliment Celaena well, but in different ways; Two guys like this falling for the same young woman for different reasons? I can totally see that happening. I loved the gradual change as both of them began to see Celaena as more than just a convicted criminal and as an actual person with a heart and a soul... and eventually, perhaps, as a friend. Knowing the state in which the novellas left her heart, I was a tad hesitant about the romance aspect of this book (Sam...), but it works and it's done really well... to the point where it's tearing me up a little because both guys are just so...sigh-inducingly wonderful.World. It's obvious to me that the continent of Erilea has been something Sarah J. Maas has been developing for a very long time. From climates, to languages, to landmarks, to legends and local lore, it's a very polished, beautiful and complete world that Celaena Sardothien resides in. Plus, this book got a few automatic points in its favor because it includes a gorgeously drawn and detailed map, which I put to very good use while reading.Story. There are so many things going on in this book, so many threads of things - both subtle and overt - that Sarah is weaving to create a bigger, broader picture. From the main storyline of the competition, to the mystery behind the murders of the Champions, to the unrest in the conquered lands of Erilea, to the abolition of magic, to the political maneuverings and machinations of the royal court, to Celaena's personal mysteries, plus a few threads from the novellas that have not yet been addressed - there's just a lot of story there to work with and Sarah does a fantastic job of keeping a handle on all of them and developing them simultaneously. It's an exciting, fantastic plot, with a deliciously deliberate and well-planned complexity that kept my nose glued to the page.Overall. Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass is darkly enchanting, heartrendingly romantic, unfailingly action-packed and exciting - a definite page-turner and a sure-fire favorite. So read this. Read it now... or risk the wrath of Celaena Sardothien. ePUB Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1) sito di download I bought the first Throne of Glass book from Amazon in 2013. I can't tell you why I didn't read it immediately, but it wasn't until another reader fan like me suggested I read it that I finally read it...some 10 years later. And I adore it! Ms. Mass is wonderful in every way, and I can't wait to start the next book in the series. I want to thank my friend, Anita, for recommending the series to me. And I hope Ms.Mass keeps writing these wonderful books. Download (PDF) Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, 1)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PDF Download Modern Rock Guitar Soloing: Master Intermediate & Advanced Lead Guitar Concepts, Licks, Theory & Technique for Rock soloing & Improvisation ePUB Kindle